This 15 min video walks you through the basic step you need to do to install the wiring, the jacks, and the patch panel for a small office Ethernet Network..
It is explained in plain, non-technical language so that any lay-person could grasp the ideas and techniques.
Near the end, testing is also explained. Testing is important so you don’t get frustrated when connecting computers. You need to know your cable is tested and that it is not the cause of any problems.
Here’s a summary of what happens in this video:
1. explanation of the cable runs from the central location to the data outlet locations.
2. the installation of the wall jacks
3. the termination of the cables to the patch panel
4. wire management and mounting of patch panel
5. Testing of cables for correct numbering and validation of connectivity.
Materials you will need:
Categorie 5e or 6 UTP (Unshielded twisted pari) cable
RJ-45 modular inserts (aka data jacks)
Wall plates with RJ-45 hole
12, 14, or 48 port patch panel
Network cabinet or 19″ wall bracket (for panel)
Caddy-clip drywall mud rings.